Thursday, March 08, 2018

A dozen new and upcoming historical novels with intriguing cover art

This post is dedicated to historical fiction cover art, one of my favorite subjects, and one I haven't posted about recently. Twelve intriguing covers for new and forthcoming historical novels are below.  Will you be adding any of these to your TBRs, or have you read them already?



Andrews' latest biblical fiction novel has a striking color combination in its design: the blue turning into an almost grey, and the title in a deep red font. The title character's pose is classic (a woman facing away from the reader), but the rest makes it stand out. WaterBrook, Jan 2018. [see on Goodreads]



The creative cover for The Strays (from Australian novelist Bitto) seems perfect for a novel about artists and bohemian types in Depression-era Melbourne. Twelve, Jan 2018. [see on Goodreads]



This novel set among socialites in 1950s America and Havana looks like a decadent read perfect for summertime. Crown, June 2018. [see on Goodreads]



And moving on to something completely different. A dramatic color combo for Cornwell's new Elizabethan-set novel (this is the UK paperback).  It looks respectably historical, and the foregrounded red promises action and turmoil. HarperCollins UK, April 2018. [see on Goodreads]



I chose this one because the setting calls to mind the coastal setting for Poldark, and Costeloe's latest is set in nineteenth-century Cornwall, but some decades afterward. Head of Zeus, May 2018. [see on Goodreads]



I love this evocative portrait of London at twilight - the color of the Thames and the sky above, and check out the little dog in the lower right corner of the image. It makes for an eye-catching Victorian mystery. Minotaur, Feb 2018. [see on Goodreads]



Ann Mah's newest novel takes place in wine country - the French region of Burgundy - in WWII and the present day. The cover design echoes the locale and appears warm, inviting, and earthy. Morrow, June 2018. [see on Goodreads]



Such an edgy cover for Christine Mangan's debut novel set in '50s Morocco: the black and white palette (except the title and author), the dark shadows, the woman's expression and pose, the unusual way her fingers are splayed... it reminds me of a Hitchcock film. Ecco, May 2018. [see on Goodreads]



The cover for Sold on a Monday tells a story, one that will undoubtedly be heartbreaking in parts, but it's one I want to read in hopes that all will turn out well. Not surprisingly, it takes place during the Depression years. Sourcebooks, Sept 2018. [see on Goodreads]



You don't see many historical novel covers based on historical portraits any more, which is unfortunate. This is a classic example of one used for a novel set in Renaissance-era Venice, and it works very well. The Scriptorium, Nov 2017. [see on Goodreads]



I'm always willing to be won over by an attractive historical-looking font. The subtitle says "a romantic mystery of the Hudson River Valley," and both the woodsy backdrop and the title placard evoke the setting and era (late 19th century).  Walrus, Apr 2017.  [see on Goodreads]




The sepia photograph on the cover (colorized a bit) is one that makes me want to find out more about its subject, Margaretha Zelle, better known as Mata Hari. This is a recent reissue of Skinner's novel, first published in 2001. Faber & Faber, 2017.  [see on Goodreads]

13 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! I am also fascinated by cover art, especially with historical fiction books. A majority of these are new to me, and a majority of these will now be added to my TBR. ;) I'm particularly intrigued by The Painter's Apprentice, The Red Dancer (I don't see many like this!), and The Curse of the Braddock Brides. Thanks so much for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you found some books to add to the TBR!

      Delete
  2. Ooh! Bernard Cornwell is one of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of the books from his Saxon series, but the Elizabethan one is new to me. It has a different cover in the US, but I prefer the UK one :)

      Delete
    2. I read Fool and Mortals, really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this awesome post! You always help me find more new books for my must-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Tori! I've only read one of these (Woman in the Water), and the rest are on my want list, too!

      Delete
  4. I'm reviewing The Painter's Apprentice for Historical Novels Review. So far I'm enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It's one I've had my eye on, since I enjoyed the author's previous novel.

      Delete
  5. Great set of covers although I'll admit I'm partial to the one for Fools and Mortals since the cover art is awesome and so is the title. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the title is another plus :)

      Delete
  6. My TBR list grows again! The Cornwell will definitely be read in our household although my husband will probably get to it first (Stonehenge is my favorite of his so far). Loved the Poldark reference, anything by Charles Finch is good, The Lost Vintage sounds like a great book club choice. I won't do the little boy with the suitcase, with 3 2-year old grandchildren even the photo is heartbreaking. And the setting of the Braddock Brides title is enticing. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been encouraging my husband to read Cornwell for some time and figured Last Kingdom would be a good starting point (since we visited Bamburgh Castle a few years ago). I hope to get to Fools and Mortals soon, too.

      The Charles Finch is very good... I'll have a review up later on!

      Delete